Friday, December 5, 2008

3 Check-ups and a new car

3 years ago, after returning home with Katy, I decided I needed a bigger car (SUV) that would safely transport a baby, all our things and, a horse trailer if need be.  The second day I had the car, Katy got sick from the topsy turvy ride which was only the first of many many times.  We suffered through this for about 2 years on trips over 30 minutes which were many.  I had to always be prepared with extra clothes, towels, buckets, etc.  She seemed to grow out of it a year or so ago but I knew that it might be an issue for the twins.  Last Summer I had planned to trade the car in for something a little lower to the ground and a little more passenger friendly but didn't do it - I didn't want to "jinx" the already delayed adoption.  

Today, finally, I was on the phone most of the day finding the car and setting up the purchase.   Unfortunately I was a day too late.    The girls' doctor appointment was an hour drive - Courtney had her first bout of carsickness on the way down the hill and Camryn experienced hers on the way back.  I was looking in the rear view mirror just before Camryn got sick and was saying how sad she looked thinking it was because of the shots she had just had.  After looking away, Katy said "MOM, YOU NEED TO STOP . . . MY SISTER JUST THROWED UP!".   Luckily Anna, who never seems to mind this kind of stuff,  had volunteered to come help with the appointments (along with Angela who was all the way in the back and "couldn't get out").    Anna did most of the clean up but that didn't entirely save me from having to deal with it too.   I'll be dealing with it for at least another day as I try to get the car seats cleaned and put back together - very messy and unpleasant to say the least.  But, it was actually pretty comical that while I'm negotiating the purchase of the new car this happened - a lucky break for the salesman because it just made me seal the deal a little quicker.

The check-ups went well.  All the lab work had come back in on the twins and everything is fine.  We got all the information on the vaccines that they have had (I didn't get this info from the orphanage like I did with Katy) and I learned that their lead poisoning level is very low at 1.5.  Weight and height did not change with the exception of Courtney gaining 1/2 a pound which was a little surprising but nothing to worry about right now.   We left a few more samples (stool) to make sure all the little parasites are gone - Katy, who didn't have them but is being tested just to make sure, told everyone that she was going to the doctor to see if she had "bugs in her tummy"!   Both girls needed a couple of shots and Katy, at long last, is being tested to see if she was ever exposed to TB now that we can get around the "false" positive readings due to the vaccines.  The twins had their second flu (nose) spray and Katy had one today too.  So much nicer then the flu shot and, no preservatives (mercury) to boot.  

Other notables for the day.  Camryn says "thank you" almost every time I give her something in such a cute little voice.  I thought I recognized it the other day but today it became much more noticeable.  I think she's actually been saying it for quite a while.   And, while waiting for the doctor, Angela was playing with Courtney's "piggy toes" (went to market . . . ) and, when done, Courtney said "do it again".  I think the girls are really saying a lot of words, and sentences, and little by little they are becoming more recognizable.  Lots of fun!   Language is going to be a very welcome and great addition to our little family!  

All in all, a very good day with 3 very healthy girls.  


No comments: