Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another quiet day in Ekat

Nothing new to report today. Yesterday was a quiet day - probably too quiet for Katy. I think she's going a little stir crazy sitting around so much. Her only play time is with the girls. We did go for a very long walk yesterday and found the Arbot here . . . not sure what it is called in Ekat but that's what they call it in Moscow and Chelyabinsk. Just an open shopping area shut off to cars. The shops seem to be pretty high end but we did find a good bakery and a little gift shop with cute Russian puzzles. That took up a few hours yesterday but then, back to the flat.

I downloaded all the pictures yesterday of the girls - they are so cute and their big brown eyes just pull you right in. They both look so happy & healthy and, they both seem so smart. My favorites are of the 3 girls together - the way they look at each other and communicate. I'm really going to enjoy watching their relationships grow too.

While I'm struggling with a few Russian words, they're already saying a few English words themselves. Mainly cracker - it's so cute when they say it. Also a big one for them is "yum-yum". We're having a little trouble with the name changes - right now we're using their Russian names while trying to teach them their English names. I know it will come in time.

Both girls seem very attentive although certainly not attached. I don't anticipate even working on that until we're home but, it's nice that they like to be held, look you straight in the eye and are eager to communicate. All healthy signs I think although they don't seem to know how to be held. They don't latch on when you pick them up which I remember was an issue with Katy at first too. The carriers will really help in getting them home and getting them used to being carried. They're definitely attached to their home however, and we're constantly having to stop them from running back to their little group room. They point to the outside a lot and I think our visits make them miss their outdoor time which isn't good.

This orphanage is so different then Katy's was. At Katy's I wasn't allowed to bring anyone in with me until after court, I wasn't allowed to wander the orphanage at all, I was required to wear booties at all times and, I was never left alone with Katy - there was always someone from the orphanage with us. We've been able to see lots of different areas of this orphanage which has been both good and bad. Some of the sights have been pretty sad but others are of happy kids playing inside and out. It's been nice that we're left alone because I don't feel like we're being watched all the time. Also, during Katy's adjustment, it's not always pretty! She's had a few little outbursts and mopes around a bit while there but, then as soon as we start leaving she talks about missing her sisters. I know it's going to be a tough adjustment but it will be so good for her. Angela's a huge help while there because all 3 are going through different things and "containing" them all at the same time would be extremely difficult!

So, we off to see them again today . . . I hope Katy does well on this drive - it's getting harder and harder on her. 5 hours in the car is way too long for her but we don't really have options. Thank God for my little IPod with all her favorite Scooby-doos on it. The novelty of that may be wearing off though and I'm running out of distractions for her.

On another note - some emails seem to be taking a couple of days to get here. We're thinking maybe it's when responding with the reply button but we haven't figured it out. If someone isn't getting answers to emails that's why! You can always post a comment on here and Angela and I will both be able to get those consistently - but, don't give up on email - we both really like getting them and look forward to them!

No comments: