Sunday, November 16, 2008

Smoothing things out

Right now I have Charlotte ('s Web) entertaining Katy in the other room and the twins are fast asleep for their afternoon nap and it's only 11:15 AM!  Now, that's progress and, although it may seem like a small feat to some reading this, for me, these days, it's is monumental and gives me hope.  To have Katy happily occupied and independent and to have the twins sleeping easily while Katy is here is something I have been struggling with.   

Katy is only in pre-school 3 days a week now for 7 hours a day.  Wednesdays she has dance & tumbling and Friday's all 3 have swim lessons.  It is always more difficult when Katy is here as she tries to control the twins and it gets a little crazy around here.  I've been struggling with discipline - not so much with Katy because I'm not too worried about being too tough on her but, with the twins.  They are not your typical 2 1/2 year olds that know and understand the basic rules - they don't understand any rules - or at least, they didn't.  They actually carried the game playing from the orphanage over to here so that when I ask them to come back they thought it was a fun game and would laugh and take off running.  We've been working on that but I have to make it not fun for them - which is not fun for me!  I don't want to be too hard on them when I'm trying to build a loving relationship but, I do want them to understand that they need to listen and follow directions.  I get tired, especially after several days in a row. and I have to admit to quite a bit of crankiness on my part - especially when all 3 are going at it which was yesterday.  Today has been totally different so far.    

With all that said, I'm now becoming a much more stern and strict parent than I was before and am seeing results already.  It's necessary with 3 and I think it will help them in many ways by being in a calm environment.   And, I'm hoping to get the rules, etc., understood early on so that we can move on to the fun things outside of the house.   It's not really possible to take them many places when they have no understanding of danger around them although they are very good when I do take them places.    

So - here's to hoping that I can walk the thin line between constructive discipline and misery and actually get these 3 girls of mine to respect the rules (and me)  but still enjoy themselves and me!   Running around after the 3 girls and basically waiting on them leaves little time for taking care of myself and I've noticed that as my eating habits have been declining (quick snacks here and there instead of good meals), my crankiness has been increasing so today I have resolved to take care of that problem too.   So after a not so pleasant day yesterday, today I'm feeling optimistic and with a little stern parenting and high expectations of the girls, life will be good and flowing smoothly again very soon for all of us.  

On that note, I'm off to spend some quality time with K before the twins wake up - she's out there being very patient which is a result of my crankiness yesterday but, hopefully, some of my communicated expectations of her too.

More later . . . 

No comments: