Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Medical Updates

No more bugs in this house!  All parasites have been eradicated including any sign of scabies it seems.  And, Katy's TB test also was negative which is great news!  I was always under the impression that she would get a false positive if she was required to be tested and then she would have to go through the chest xray, etc.   So, this was good news.

Developmental assessment is seeming to be more difficult to come by.  First I contacted the State's Early Start program who told me that they had to wait 6 months before meeting with internationally adopted children as they tend to catch up so quickly.  But, they don't see children after they turn 3 which, at the time of the call, was just about 6 months!   They were not helpful at all so I then contacted the school district who referred me to our "Head Start" pre-school.  Turns out that they won't see kids until 3 and, unless they are "special needs" kids (from birth) the family has to qualify to be in need of financial aid.  Again, not helpful.  The pediatrician then referred me back to the Regional Center and said if that didn't work to try Children's Hospital.  So, I tried Regional Center who told me because the children are under 3 that I need to speak to Early Start.  I told them that they were telling me they couldn't see my children for 6 months (4 now) and that they would then be turning 3.  Circles.  I then tried Children's Hospital who told me that my insurance company would only pay $25 per hour and they charge $248 per hour and that each assessment would cost $1,500.00 out of pocket - a total of $3,000!  Then after that the cost would be completed on an hourly basis for any kind of therapy. Ridiculous! The pediatrician said I could get by with only having Courtney assessed and then practice what I learn on Camryn but still - it's too much money to get any kind of regular therapy going.  So, now I'm going to try a non-profit group that was started by an adoptive mother (Russian child) and am really hoping that I get somewhere with them.  At this rate, the girls will be 3 before I get anywhere with this but, I think that they're both going to catch up on their own just by attending the pre-school.

Both girls have started two days a week at Katy's school and they are doing great there.  Courtney needs a little extra help with her fine motor skills (she has already improved drastically) so she is getting some needed attention in that area.  Other than that the girls are doing well socially, with listening and following direction.  Not really too many worries although Courtney still tends to get over excited and a little silly at times.    She is comfortable enough at school though to take naps with all the other kids which was a concern of mine.  Both she and Camryn have no problem laying down and sleeping so they're not overly excited by being there.  I think it probably helps that Angela who they know so well is there.  They're fine when I get them home and fall right into our regular routine.  All good there.  

So, life is moving forward fast.  We have a house full of Christmas decorations - Katy and I spent the evening making ornaments for the tree tonight which was really fun (with some help from Angela).  Camryn walked around all night singing along with a little Santa Claus that, when she pushes on his hand, sings that he is "coming to town".  She pretty much has all the words down but they still sound a bit jumbled.  Very cute though and she's very possessive of this particular Santa.   Courtney was very very dramatic about expressing her hunger before dinnertime - to the point where I was a little concerned that she may have caught the flu from her cousins - and, then after dinner, was all smiles and ready to play with whoever would play with her.  Happy as could be.  She can be very dramatic at times and, so can Camryn when it comes to being locked out of the pantry (she loves her snacks!) which happened to her tonight.

I feel so fortunate to have all 3 girls here for the Holidays and, this year is especially fun for Katy as she really is enjoying the season and all the celebratory side of it and, she's also really enjoying having her sisters here.  Makes a mom's heart smile!  


No comments: