Friday, August 29, 2008

Getting close

A busy week preparing - even though this is my 4th trip over, I have so many questions!   Things seem to happen so quickly over there - whisked from one place to another, that I forget a lot of the little details.  So, I'm asking tons of "how to" questions and still have many more.  

I'd planned to rent a cell phone and laptop in Moscow as I know that the combo offers great wireless internet but the laptops are unavailable during that time.  We'll be staying in a flat rather then the hotel and, may possibly wait out the 10 days in Chelyabinsk at another flat. Therefore, internet access is questionable.  I haven't had to worry about that in the past as I was either at a hotel with access or had the phone/laptop combo.  I'm bringing an Apple laptop - any knowledgeable input would be appreciated - i.e. internet cards (heard of them but don't know how they work), etc.

Today I got an email from the agency.  It had been quiet until then - in fact, yesterday was the deadline on purchasing the tickets so I had to do it.  It's certainly not unheard of to have them cancel this far along but I think it's unlikely.   But, today, another curve ball.  Olga had received a copy of my dossier to review and is now asking for renewal certifications for the social worker and the director of the agency!  This is a four week process with "no way to expedite".  I'm trying anyway and have told the agency what I've learned.  They're going to try to use a copy of the director's from another family but they don't have any more recent ones for the social worker.  Olga said I need to hand carry those and the FBI clearance which I don't have yet either.  My INS fingerprints expire on 10/31 so I need to go next week and re-take those to be safe in case we leave Moscow after that date.  I thought getting an appointment would be difficult but they responded quickly and I should have the form early next week.  All normal problems with these adoptions I know but still I could do without the stress.  Just have to wonder why it is always last minute.  

Lots of gifts to purchase still and I'll have to work on trying to squeeze everything in luggage wise.  Other than that and the last few forms, we're ready to go!  Hopefully, next week will be equally as quiet without any more surprises.




No comments: