Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday - 4 PM

Hello from Ekat. My first visit to an internet cafe! And, I actually found it because in Russian it looks close enough to figure out what it was. But, it's upstairs so walking in you would really never know it was here.

We had such a great time in Chelyabinsk with the highlight, for me, being the trip to Katy's orphanage. I was so surprised that the doctor and caregivers remembered her and they seemed thrilled to see her. Megan got some great footage of that which Katy will always treasure I'm sure. I would really like to bring all 3 girls back in 5 years or so but we'll see. We walked and bused all over Chelyabinsk which I didn't do during Katy's adoption so was glad to do that. It was very sad leaving Sasha who is very attached to Katy although she didn't realize that Katy's affection came by way of bribery - but, it worked and Sasha really enjoyed her visit with Katy. Katy did warm up to her as well but it was a little hit and miss so the bribes worked well. Sasha showed Katy and me her home which was interesting and she made some great cheese/bread snack for us. She really has a nice flat although the building is a 3 floor walk-up and all dark, dingy, damp concrete. It's amazing how the buildings here all seem to be like that.

As much as we enjoyed Chelyabinsk it was really nice returning to Ekat although to no internet. We still don't have it but only have a couple days left in the flat so I'm not worrying about that. Katy and I are now sleeping on the fold out in the kitchen as we have a full house and she wakes up so early. It's really warm fall weather so we've been enjoying it outside but, the heat is on now so the inside of the flat is extremely warm. Very uncomfortable. But, the flat is larger and more open then the little one in Chelyabinsk so it felt good to be back.

We went to the circus yesterday which was very interesting. They had crocidiles, a giraffe, snakes and dogs - very different than our circus. Not something I think I would attend again and, not something I think PETA would approve of. But it was good to see once. After that Megan and Angela went to the Church of Blood (Rominov's) but Katy and I stayed home as she has been pretty exhausted. Then today off to the two (one real and one fake) Europe/Asia borders. Katy fell asleep as soon as we got in the car so I didn't get out - wasn't really necessary as you could see the whole thing from the car anyway.

Tomorrow - back to business and I'm so glad about it. The girls passports pictures are done. Tomorrow is a day of paperwork but I don't know if that means a visit to the orphanage or not. The court resolution is finalized tomorrow so the girls will be officially mine but I don't think I'll be picking them up until Wednesday. Hopefully it will be Wednesday morning and I've already asked if we could fly out of here Wednesday night. I think that may be a little difficult as we're going to need to figure out how to change flights, etc. but it would be so great to get moving toward home. We are so ready to get the girls and get back to the US! It's been a good trip and nothing really all that uncomfortable but it will be so nice to be home with everyone!

That's it for now - will update more when we have internet again. Katy's sitting next to me watching Scooby on the IPOD so I only have 24 minutes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such a good visit with Sasha. I can't wait to see you and the girls. It sounds like it has been a good trip, but if I'm ready to have you come home you must really be ready to get back. I will be crossing my fingers that you can get your flight changed to an earlier one. Just a few more days and your family will be all together! Then the fun will really begin! Miss you!
Chris

Anonymous said...

HI Lori and girls, S
So here we are anxiously awaiting your arrival home. Can't wait to meet the girls and to give big hugs to Katy.

So glad Megan got some footage of the orphanage reunion. Katy will always remember her nice reunion, and be able to share that memory with her kids and so on.....wow, I've got her all grown up already.

Be safe on your journey home!

From all of us at The Old Julian Petting Zoo

Melissa said...

Another step closer. I am really excited for you. It sounds like you had a great side trip, very memorable. Good luck tomorrow with the finalization!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Lori,

i just wrote out a huge comment, and did not realize i had to sign up first before i sent it. so it was all lost. too much info to try to recap.

i am sad for sasha to have to see you come and go. she is so tough on the outside but deep gentle feelings. it was hard to leave her, otherwise not hard to leave Russia!

if you find a place either in Ekinterinburg or Moscow that has DVDs that are not remakes, (we had conversation about this), that all but 2 that i brought home would not play here on our usa electronics. i am hoping if you can find childrens classical animation dvds that are both in english and russian. we have one we brought home, 101 dalmatioms, it plays in english/russian. stephanie watched it in both. her interest even remains while in russian. hopefully we can find some and make copies for both of us.

once you get to Moscow,where do you plan on staying, hotel or flat? you should at least have means for communication. i know for us it was like going on vacation to arrive there. all the luxeries of a big city!!

let me know if i can help check out earlier flight for you. otherwise what is your current date and flt of arrival. i cant wait to be there for such a grand finale.

i cant wait for next update.

Kristine